There are lots of GPS Navigation applications that you can download to your Windows 10 device.
If you are driving on a daily basis you will require a good GPS navigation app for your Windows Phone or tablet.
Whether you need to find a shortcut to a certain destination or you want to keep your eye out for speed cameras and road accidents.
Whether it is a free or paid windows application, we are going to look into the best ones in this buying guide.
GPS Voice Navigation
GPS Voice Navigation was designed to provide turn-by-turn directional support to driver while on the roads.
This GPS application, as the name suggests does not require the user to type anything into the phone, users simply need to speak a directional command and the app will do the rest.
The app will give you an arrival time estimation and the required distance needed to cover.
The GPS Voice Navigation won a “best international App” prize back in 2013, and hasn’t looked back since.
Courtesy of Microsoft
- Insert via functionality
- Functional design
- Handy dashboard with estimated time of arrival, time and distance traveled and more
- Search for an address or within recent, favorites, points of interest (POI), contacts
- Map layers (restaurants, hotels, speed cameras, gas stations, POI, terrain)
- Option to alert for nearby speed cameras (fixed, mobile or traffic light)
- Street names spoken instructions plus integration as default navigation app (WP8 only)
- Save up to 50% of your battery life and do multitasking with the new GPS Voice Navigation Eco & Background modes!
- Eco mode – Your battery lasts twice longer as voice directions are on and no maps or tiles are loaded. The eco screen shows distance and time left.
- Background mode – You get directions while performing different operations. (WP8 only)
A fantastic free app that is one of the most downloaded apps for Windows gps nav apps.
There is lots of different features and settings and the app doesn’t eat up a lot of your battery, unlike other navigational apps.
It not only has a great layout that is extremely easy to use, but also, has some great features to help you travel safely and avoid any roadworks or traffic accidents.
There is also a 3D viewer that displays the road ahead to give you a better idea where things are, ideal for some kind of delivery driver that needs to find a location for the first time.
The app also has the ability to show you are the nearest cafes and shops are in case need to make a pit stop for a bite to eat.
- Find your location on the map and track current speed
- Layers support (street, satellite, traffic, bike, weather, etc)
- Search for venues using powerful local search
- Discover (advanced categorized customization local search)
- Directions (car, bicycle, public transit or walk)
- Routes, alternative routes and restrictions, multiple way-points, integration with 3rd party apps
- Ultimate Street View (360-degree, panoramic, ability to move)
- My Places (favorites, pinned, recent)
- Driver mode (rotation, directions, auto-reroute)
- Ability to view directions through 3rd party apps like Waze, Nokia Drive and so on.
- Compass support
- Imperial/Metric units auto detect and switch
- Share map or place by sms, email, etc
- Route to contact
- Night mode
GMaps is definitely one of the best navigation apps currently on the market for a Windows phone.
Whether you want to share a map with someone, or, view a street in real-time, then the GMap App is something to look into.
Destination Manager is like a navigation app combined with an organizer.
The application will remind you of certain nearby destinations using an alarm.
Let’s say you need to buy some flowers and you add it to the app, and then drive to take the children to school, the application with set-off the alarm when a florist is nearby.
You can store up to 75 different requests, ensuring you won’t forget to pick up something on your travels, not only this, the app will show you the exact directions on how to get there!
Another great feature is the apps ability to find the nearest place you are looking for.
If you are already out and you want to know where the nearest ATM cash point is, then open up the Destination Manager, select ATM machine, and within seconds the apps will have found the nearest one with directions on how to get there.
- Searches anything around you with 14 explicit search categories and 75 subcategories[New]
- Find ATM, Bank, Library, Hospital, Airport, Hotel, Restaurant, Entertainment and many more
- Direction indicators for nearby places
- Default route from current location to nearby places
- Simple and improved turn by turn navigation interface
- Add to favorite your nearby places, get directions, Google reviews and one touch call
- Shows your current location on full screen map
- Share location on Email, Facebook and other social networks
Destination Manager is not only a navigation app, but also an organizer that will ensure you don’t forget something while you are out.
The days where you are driving in circles looking for the nearest food store will be a thing of the distant past with this great app.
Scout GPS Maps
Scout GPS Maps is designed with personalization in mind.
You can chat interactively with other users or friends. Maybe you are travelling as a group to a holiday destination and there is a traffic jam ahead.
Other users can advise you on this, so that you can find an alternate route to avoid the long delays.
The App gives you the ability to chat and point you in the right direction all rolled into one.
The App also has real-time traffic alerts and other travel related news. If anything happens on your destination, you will be one of the first to know.
- The App dashboard – great for viewing updated local information on your journey.
- Multiple route planner – Up to 3 different route variations, all uniquely optimized to ensure you avoid the traffic the best way possible.
- Step-by-step directions – easy to follow directions for your selected route.
- Local amenities – search for whatever you need in the area and the app will show you the closest and best way to get there.
- My places – save you most traveled destinations.
- Voiced turn by turn directions – Award winning voice navigation.
- Traffic updates – Avoid traffic jams with one touch re-routing.
- Maps with Traffic lights and traffic flows – see real-time traffic flows are red lights. Avoid them with one touch re-routing.
- Voice commanding software – speak to the phone to either view a map or view direction to any address.
- Travel completely hands free.
The Scout GPS Maps is a great little app with exceptional add-on’s.
Whether you would like to avoid red lights and traffic jams, or message someone, then the Scout would be a great application to have.
Garmin StreetPilot is an app made only for windows phone devices.
It is a great navigational app that brings the most up-to-date maps to help you navigate whether your are driving or foot.
There is an array of different navigation features that include – off-route recalculation, giving you the option to choose a faster more efficient route, Voice control guidance – enabling you to keep your eyes on the road, real-time traffic monitors – avoid the traffic queues, multiple destination routes – choose the best way to your destination, Real Photo technology with 3D buildings, speed limitations, lane guidance and much more.
- Includes voice given instructions, turn-by-turn directional requests, including street names.
- Provides real-time “as it happens” traffic updates to avoid long delays.
- Includes speed limits and notifications on all roads.
- Displays all the points of interest along your route such as stores and cash points.
- Includes lane assistance with a junction view for complicated highway interchanges.
- Features up to date weather forecasts.
- Displays daily flight statuses, including arrival / departure information.
- Allows users to make calls directly from search listings.
- Allows users to navigate the application in both portrait and landscape modes.
Garmin is a major player in the GPS navigation field and they have create a wonderful free app here.
It has all the features you would need when you are taking a journey and best of all, the App is free and downloadable from the Microsoft app page.
CoPilot is another respected name in user navigation.
It is a premium Copilot GPS app for most Windows phones. As a premium application, you will need to pay for the app on a monthly basis.
They offer a great free 7 day trial to see if the CoPilot is for your liking.
Once you have downloaded the app, you will have unlimited access to all the cool features such as voice navigation, active traffic reports, speed camera reports and alerts and speed limit restrictions to ensure you are not hit with an unwanted speeding ticket.
Other great features include being able to download lots of different maps to view while you are offline and all kind of information services.
One thing is for sure, if you have this app, you shouldn’t ever find yourself becoming lost or not know where a sneaky speed camera is lurking!
- Offline navigation: street maps stored on-board your Windows Phone 8
- Clear voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions
- 3D guidance display
- Lane indicator arrows, signpost info and ClearTurn™ view
- ActiveTraffic™ helps you avoid delays
- Automatic routing and recalculation
- Safety camera alerts (not available in North America, France or Switzerland)
- Unique directions only view and motion lock
- Speed limits and speedometer
You can also purchase a 12 month Active Traffic subscription and get additional map regions throughout the world.
FREE BASIC FEATURES: After the 7 day trial, you can still enjoy the following features for free:
- Offline 2D street maps
- Multi-stop trip planning
- Pre-loaded POIs
- Itinerary & preview directions
- Drag and drop route editing
- Local search with Yelp, Wikipedia and Google
Overall, the CoPilot is a great app loaded with features and functions.
As it is a paid service, you can test the waters with the free 7 day trial and if you don’t like it, then opt for something different. We really liked the application.
Waze is simply one of the best interactive navigational apps available on the market and the best thing is it is completely free!
Waze is a really fun way of navigating as you can join in the Waze community and help map the roads to help give pointers to other Waze users out and about.
The wonderful app can help its users not only travel the roads more efficiently, but also save time and money for you and the other million users that are using the app.
The maps themselves are showed in the interface a little bit like an animation, ensuring that all the road hazards are easily identified.
With the Waze app, everything is about contributing to a safer, better experience for your fellow Waze users.
If you see an accident, simple mark it on the road map, and other users will be able to see and hopefully avoid the hazard.
- Live routing based on community generated, real-time traffic and road info
- Community contributed road alerts including accidents, hazards, police traps, road closures and more
- Complete voice guided navigation
- Automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change
- Learns your frequent destinations, commuting hours and preferred routes
- Finds the cheapest petrol station along your route
- Notify someone you’re on your way by sending a live ETA and a link showing you as you drive
- Earn points and move up the ranks in your community as you contribute road info
- Live maps, constantly edited and updated by Waze community map editors
If you are looking for a fun way to navigate and join in with the travelling community then Waze if definitely the navigational app for you.
With over one million users, you can guarantee that if something is worth noting while you are on your travels, somebody will have added it to the local map.
Simply wonderful for making your journeys less stressful.